On the weekend following the CIHA Congress (Saturday + Sunday, 21st + 22nd July 2012), two-day excursions will be offered. Each post-conference tour is scheduled to depart at 8:00 am from Kornmarkt 1 (employee entrance of the Germanisches Nationalmuseum) and return on Sunday between 3:30 and 4:00 pm. Employees of the Germanisches Nationalmuseum shall accompany the trips and museum directors, lecturers, and architects responsible on site will be available to lead tours.
Please note: The costs for the Post-Conference tours are not included in the congress fee and must be paid by the participants themselves.
Tour 1: Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau
Costs: 145 Euro
The so-called Wies was built between 1745 and 1754 by the brothers Johann Baptist and Dominikus Zimmermann. The pilgrimage church is dedicated to the Flagellated Savior, a sculpture that was completed in 1730 by Father Magnus Straub and Brother Lukas Schweiger in the Upper Bavarian monastery of Steingaden. With its magnificent Rococo decoration, Wies Church has been a site of UNESCO World Heritage since 1983. For more information click here.
- Museum of the Bavarian Kings
Opened in 2011, the museum beneath Hohenschwangau Castle is housed within the former Alpenrose Hotel, now refurbished and expanded. The focus of the collection centers upon the history of the House of Wittelsbach, out of which came eight Bavarian kings. The initiator, architect, and director of the Museum of Bavarian Kings is the Wittelsbach Compensation Fund. For more information click here.
- Neuschwanstein Castle
Only seven weeks after the death of King Louis II (1864–1886), Neuschwanstein became open to the public in 1886. Since then, it has ranked among the most well-known and oft-visited palaces and castles worldwide. The castle was not built as a setting of a kingly representation, but rather as a place of retreat, created from a make-believe world. After a stroll through Pöllat Canyon and across the bridge known as the Marienbrücke, the special tour will offer the opportunity to visit Neuschwanstein Castle after normal visiting hours. Please bring sturdy shoes with you. The hiking trail is not handicap-accessible. For more information click here.
- Hohenschwangau Palace
Hohenschwangau, situated across from Neuschwanstein, was first mentioned in the 12th century as the seat of the Noblemen from Schwangau as “Schwanstein” Castle. In 1832, Crown Prince Maximilian inherited the castle, which by then had fallen into ruin, and in 1837, had it rebuilt by the architectural and theater painter Domenico Quaglio (1787–1837) according to the neo-Gothic style. In addition to the unaltered and preserved Biedermeier-style furnishings, the painting of the rooms using designs by Moritz von Schwind and Ludwig Lindenschmit the Elder have been preserved. For more information click here.
Tour 2: Kassel (dOCUMENTA and Wilhelmshöhe)
Costs: 145 Euro
- dOCUMENTA (13)
CIHA 2010 shall acknowledge the unique instance at which the International Conference of Art Historians and Documenta are taking place simultaneously in the same country with an in-depth visit to dOCUMENTA (13). At the center of the Kassel exhibition is the primary motif Collapse and Recovery. As early as June 2010, the first sculpture “Idee di Petra” (“Thoughts of a Stone”) by the Italian Giuseppe Penone was presented on the outskirts of Karlsaue Park in Kassel. Participants of this outing will spend the full day on Saturday, July 21, 2012 at dOKUMENTA and following a curator’s introduction to the collection, will have the opportunity to visit it independently. For more information click here.
- Museumslandschaft Hessen Kassel at Wilhelmshöhe
The Museumslandschaft Hessen Kassel (formerly the State Museums of Kassel) exists within a nearly 600-year-old tradition of acquisition, preservation, and organization. Through the passion of collection by landgraves and prince-electors, diverse and major art treasures have come together here, which have survived unchanged at their historical site. The distinctive desire to create is likewise expressed in the historical palace and garden complex (Wilhelmshöhe Palace and Palace Park, Karlsaue Park with Orangery, Wilhelmsthal Palace and Park). Due to the unique combination of art collections, garden architecture, and architecture, the view has been submitted for entry into the list of UNESCO World Heritage. After an introduction, participants have the chance to visit the museums at Wilhelmshöhe independently. For more information click here.
Tour 3: Prague
Costs: 145 Euro
Emperor Carl IV (reigned 1346–1378) had the castle built, which was situated approximately 30 kilometers southwest of Prague. From about 1350 to 1421, it housed the Imperial Regalia of the Holy Roman Empire and the Imperial Relics. There were kept, at times together with the Bohemian Crown Jewels, in the main building of the castle, the Chapel of the Holy Cross. The various buildings of the complex were built at differing levels, with the chapel as the most important building at the very top. At the end of the 15th century, the castle was rebuilt in the Late Gothic style, and later according to the Renaissance style. In 1619 the Bohemian Royal Regalia were brought to St. Vitus Cathedral in Prague. After that time the castle fell into ruin and was rebuilt in the mid-18th century. For more information click here.
- Prague Castle and St. Vitus Cathedral
St. Vitus Cathedral of Prague Castle dates back to a complex from the 10th century. Beginning in the year 1344, Charles IV (ruled 1346–1378) had the Gothic cathedral built. To the present day, it remains the most significant architectural monument within the Czech Republic. The Gothic structure was constructed at the site of a rotunda that was dedicated in 925 and basilica that was built in 1060. As of 1325, the architects were Peter Parler and his sons Wenzel and Johann the Younger. The coronation and funerary church of the Bohemian rulers still house the crown jewels, which are administered by the Czech nation and the Prague archdiocese. For more information click here.
- National Gallery in Prague, Collection of the 19th, 20th, and 21st Centuries
The tour on Sunday will lead through the Czech National Gallery´s collection of the 19th to the 21st centuries which is housed within the Veletržní Palace. The exhibition building from the 1920s was rebuilt after a fire in the 1970s and declared a national cultural artifact. The collection itself comprises major works of paintings, sculptures, furniture, and photography by Czech and international artists. For more information click here.
Tour 4: Colmar – Strasbourg
Costs: 145 Euro
- Musée d´Unterlinden
The Unterlinden Museum in Colmar is situated within a 13th-century convent. The collection incorporates paintings and sculptures from the Late Middle Ages and the Renaissance, including the Isenheim Altarpiece. The polyptych was created between 1512 and 1516 by the wood carver Niklaus von Hagenau and the painter Mathis Gothart Nithart (Grünewald) for the Antonite monastery in Isenheim. The tour of the museum will consider the current restoration campaign of the altar. For more information click here.
- Strasbourg Cathedral
The Cathedral of Our Lady of Strasbourg is among the most major Gothic sacred buildings ever and is a component of the UNESCO World Heritage historic city. The cathedral was built at the site of a burnt-down building (1015-1028), which in turn dates back to a Carolingian-era church that burned down in 1007. A few stained glass pieces have survived from the Romanesque period. However, the largest decoration campaign was accompanied by the completion of the new building. In addition to the numerous Gothic glass windows, bearing witness to this today are still a number of altars such as the pulpit and the 15th-century baptismal font. The Astronomical clock of Strasbourg Cathedral was completed in 1574 and ranks among the oldest preserved astronomical instruments ever. For more information click here.
- Palais Rohan (Museum of Decorative Arts and Historical Museum)
Palais Rohan is regarded as the highlight of the region’s Baroque architecture. It was built between 1731 and 1742 at the behest of Cardinal Armand-Gaston-Maximilien de Rohan-Soubise by the architect Joseph Massol, using architectural sketches by Robert de Cotte at the site of a former archbishop’s residence. Since the end of the 19th century, the palace houses three museums: The Archeological Museum, the Museum of Decorative Arts, and the Museum of Fine Arts. One focal point of the visit will concentrate upon the architecture of Palais Rohan, another is the Museum of Decorative Arts and the third is the Historical Museum, which has been located since 1920 at the Grande Boucherie, the former slaughterhouse of Strasbourg (1587). For more information click here.
Tour 5: Darmstadt – Frankfurt
Costs: 145 Euro
The Artists’ Colony at Mathildenhöhe was founded in 1899 by Ernst Ludwig, the last Grand Duke of Hessen-Darmstadt. He brought seven artists to Darmstadt, including Josef Maria Olbrich and Peter Behrens. Within two years, these two executed their first major exhibition with domestic architecture, furniture, artisanal works, paintings, graphics, and sculpture in the Art Nouveau style. Three additional exhibitions followed until 1914. The unique architectural ensemble at Mathildenhöhe is for the most part preserved in terms of its primary structure. The original decoration of the houses and additional works of art are reconstructed at the Artists’ Colony Museum. For more information click here.
- Moderner Kirchenbau in Frankfurt/Main
The architect Rudolf Schwarz (1897-1961) was known primarily for his designs for Catholic churches. Through his plans for the reconstruction of the war-ravaged city of Cologne, he significantly influenced that city's postwar development. In Frankfurt he is best known for two church buildings: in 1947/48, for one thing, he rebuilt St. Paul's Church, where the Frankfurt National Assembly had taken place in 1848/49. Because of its role as the cradle of democracy in Germany, it has been regarded since then as a national symbol of freedom and is no longer used as a church. The Church of St. Michael was designed by Rudolf Schwarz and built in 1954. When the church was about to be demolished some years ago, it was transformed on the basis of plans by his widow Maria Schwarz into a "Church for the Grieving." These two churches are to be considered from the point of view of how the object "church" is used and dealt with. Further information:
St. Michael http://www.st-michael-nordend.de/
and Rudolf Schwarz http://deu.archinform.net/arch/447.htm